(1/4) Linear Speed Calibration Check
Ensure robot is moving linearly at the right speed
- 1.Open a new terminal window. Execute this command:
rostopic pub /cmd_vel geometry_msgs/Twist "linear: x: 0.0 y: 0.0 z: 0.0 angular: x: 0.0 y: 0.0 z: 0.0"
- 2.Change the
linear: x:to 0.1-0.5 as we only want to move the robot straightly forward. Leave all the other values to 0.0.
- 3.Measure the distance the robot moved. And record the time between when the robot started to move and when the robot stopped. Calculate speed by dividing the distance over time.
- 4.Check whether your calculated speed matches up to the value that you have given for linear x.
- 5.If not, please recalibrate your wheels.
Alternatively, you may use
rosrun telelop_twist_keyboard teleop_twist_keyboard.py. Similarly, give it a linear speed between 0.1-0.5. Then repeat Steps 3 - 5 above.
- If your robot is non-holonomic, it shouldn't be able to slide sideways. y should be 0.0.
- If your robot is not flight-capable, z should be 0.0.